Thursday, January 20, 2022

Bouncy House

 

Hey, Cobblestone,

     Who knows how conversations take such a turn? Young children employ a logic that can pivot on a dime and give eight cents change, sometimes nine. I do my best to follow it, and I’m trying to relearn it, but usually it outmaneuvers me – so I’ll simply describe what happened.

     Whatever happened, it happened over corn dogs and mac-and-cheese. Memaw being Memaw, she also provided strawberry milk. We were on lunch break, “the littles” and I (the littles being our younger grandchildren). Such a menu is bound to put kids in a talkative mood, and I know there had to be a trigger, but I still didn’t see it coming. Best I can remember, we had wandered onto the topic of what heaven is like. Memaw and I were asked questions. We tried to field them, squeezing our adult ideas through the doctrinal equivalent of a Play-Dough Fun Factory. The littles were amused. And then the trigger tripped:

    Ryder (age 9): “I hope heaven has a balloon room!”

    Alena (age 6): “And a ball pit!”

    ‘Bella (just turned 4): “And a BOUNCY house!

    And from there they simply went on with their day.

     In the Gospel of Matthew alone, Jesus is recorded using the term “kingdom of heaven” or “kingdom of God” nearly three dozen times. In just the thirteenth chapter, Jesus says “The kingdom of heaven is like…” or “the kingdom of heaven may be compared to…” seven times. In each of those parables, the kingdom of heaven is like, or may be compared to, something on earth, something tangible and recognizable: a grain of mustard seed, the yeast in bread dough, a fishing net thrown into the sea. I’ve read and re-read the description of the new heaven and earth and the new Jerusalem in Revelation 21; I’ve seen charts and illustrations; and still, none of it appeals to me like Jesus’ earthy, attainable parables. What lesson do you think he wants us to learn? Do you think we may be overcomplicating it?

     Jesus came the first time to initiate the kingdom of heaven on earth. He will come the second time to establish his kingdom – there will be no rivals, no pretenders to the throne. Ever since his first coming, our job as Christians has been to further his kingdom. As I’ve mentioned in previous letters to you, Church, I’m convinced he expects us to have a bunch of the furthering done by the time he gets back. How much simpler and more joyful is our work if, instead of straining so hard to figure out each thing we need to do and everything we don’t, we relax and trust the Lord with the increase? Plant a tiny seed of gentleness instead of harshness, and watch it grow. Knead some gospel truth into everyday conversation, and it’ll rise. Throw the net into the sea, not knowing who it’ll catch. How many times will you speak the name of Jesus today?

     “And proclaim as you go, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay” (Matthew 10:7-8). This is part of what Jesus said to the twelve disciples as he sent them out for the first time. No sweat – just do this. And they did. In the past month I’ve been reading a lot about the kingdom of God – in Matthew’s Gospel, plus a very serious devotional magazine published by some very serious adults. I’ve also been hanging with the littles. I’m learning much from the adults; I’m having loads more fun with the littles – I think they and Jesus speak something closer to the same language. Bouncy house? I’m in.      

     Has it ever occurred to you how often, as Jesus was describing what the kingdom of heaven is like, he appealed to the childlike imagination in us? Children can easily imagine a camel passing through the eye of a needle: “Well, God would just take one camel molecule through at a time, and put them back together on the other side.” Problem solved.

     How often have you hoped to regain such a simple faith?

 

 

Grace and Peace (and kingdom fun… and maybe some strawberry milk),

 

John

No comments:

Post a Comment