Thursday, April 20, 2023

Abba, Part 2

 

Hey, Cobblestone,

     Think about your father’s name. Write it on a nearby napkin or imagine it as a hologram in the middle distance. Take out the vowels. Now try to say it. Weird, huh? Yeah, it’s weird for me too: my father’s name was Ed. Try it again, this time reading from right to left. Hmm, no better.

     Before the Word became flesh and dwelt among us (John 1:14), the word for God was a mash-up of other words, minus the vowels. Jesus had a better idea.

     Jesus blew the lid off the tetragam YHWH, the four-letter, vowel-deficient name assigned to our God. God the Son invited us, his adopted brothers and sisters, out of the chill and into the warmth of “Abba.” Or, if Aramaic is a no-go for you, simply “Father.” While his countrymen whispered a breathless label, Jesus spoke heartily of the rich and wonderful closeness of father and child. His critics were stunned.

     Jesus was delivered into a culture that would not speak “The Name” out loud. God was far away and long ago, yet near enough in time and space to throw a lightning bolt your way. Whether from fear, respect, or lack of familiarity, The Name was not spoken. And here comes Jesus, who, even while his earthly dad was nearby, talked about being in his Father’s house (Luke 2:49), meaning the great temple in Jerusalem. What a radical idea.

     To quote a recently departed brother, one J.I. Packer: “’Father’ is the New Testament name for God.” You can thank Jesus for that. No, really, go right ahead. If not for the Son bringing the image of the invisible God to earth (Colossians 1:15) and the exact imprint of his nature into view (Hebrews 1:3), we might still be stuck with a stone-cold tetragram. Brrr.

     How far away is the Father? How close? When’s the last time you checked?

     Some country music singer made a lot of money saying, “I saw God today,” in the sight of a small flower growing up through the crack of a city sidewalk. Given a small flower’s odds of survival there, I’d sure like to have a more reliable manifestation of Abba’s presence and care. What could that manifestation be?

     Let me describe the trick I play on myself at times, and see if it strikes a note of recognition in you. I get to thinking: Maybe Abba is distant or distracted, like my dad sometimes was, or as I’ve been with my own children. Maybe today is a discipline day, and I’d rather try to hide behind petty accomplishments. Maybe I’ll strain and make a sincere effort, but still not pick up what the Father is putting down. Any number of disappointments could befall me, so I don’t seek him out at all.

     “Thank you, Father – the trick doesn’t work on me every day, or even most days. Most days, you un-trick me.”

     Reluctant to go back to Egypt and deliver his kin, Moses said to God, “If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?” (Exodus 3:13). God’s reply was the beginning of understanding for his people. Eventually, the tetragram would be built from what God said back to Moses: I am who I am.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I am has sent me to you.’” (verse 14).  

     Let’s do this: I’ll take the reluctance I feel going into this day, and you take yours, and we’ll plug it all into a four-word prayer. “Are you close, Father?”

 I am.”

     Break out, sister. Overcome, brother. Abba is closer than you imagine. Jesus made a way. Feel free to walk there, all day every day.

 Grace and Peace (no tricks involved),

 

John

 

No comments:

Post a Comment