Thursday, June 29, 2023

Shepherd King, Part One: Start Here

 

Hey, Cobblestone,

     Take a moment, please, to consider the incredible staying power of the Twenty-Third Psalm. How it shows up in places expected and surprising. How fragments of it are embedded in speech. How it gets used and misused, with or without the user knowing which was which. And yet the Psalm rights itself somehow. “The Lord is my shepherd…” and the speaker may or may not have a sweet clue what that means. But there it is.

     More than a moment, I’m asking you to take several weeks, actually, to meditate on the Twenty-Third Psalm. Best I can tell, I have permission from the Lord to ask such an audacious thing. I hope you’ll agree at some point. To that end, please take the very next moment – yep, this one – to pray for me… maybe something like “Father, let John hear you clearly, and use his writing to draw us into the beauty of your favor and affection.” Thanks.

     We’ll take the Psalm slowly, a phrase at a time. This’ll take a while, which, if I’m understanding the Lord correctly, is mostly the point.

 The Lord is my shepherd… (verse 1).

 Just say it… um, please. Several times. Move the emphasis from one word to the next with each repetition, and lean into the change. Here: I’ll suggest with punctuation what I hope we can do with our hearts and minds and voices:

The Lord is my shepherd… to the exclusion of all impostors.

The Lord is my shepherd… because he promised to never quit.

The Lord is my shepherd… though he tends the whole flock, he won’t lose me.

The Lord is my shepherd… even though I’m still figuring out the sheep/shepherd thing.

     Just so you know, I recited the Twenty-Third Psalm early on the morning of this writing… out loud, standing barefoot in the dewy grass of my backyard, arms outstretched. Should’ve been glorious, right? It wasn’t. And just so you know this also (because the Holy Spirit is insisting I tell you), I should’ve been out there two hours earlier; I should’ve had my big-boy boots strapped on, good-to-go; I should’ve been pointing and directing and barking out orders by then – at least to myself. 

     The Father’s favorite part of “shoulda” is the “shhh” part: “Shhh, little one. Don’t should on yourself. You don’t know what you’re should-ing yourself into. Shhh… now, would you like to hear what I have for you?”  

     Reciting the Psalm this morning was awful… except. Except that, underneath the gyrations of my heart and mind was a steady beat: The Lord is my shepherd; he knows and he sees; he is here and he is able; his Word is my guide; his Spirit leads me, now and forever.

     Four full decades of following Jesus have taught me at last: pushing ahead of the Lord’s pace is a greater sin – because it’s more harmful – than lagging behind. I used to think it was the other way around. I used to think “helping” the Lord to quicken his pace was a virtue. It’s not. It is so not a virtue. The sheep leading the Shepherd… how absurd is that?

     The Lord is my shepherd… let it run on repeat until I write to you again, letting this one simple declaration have its way, growing in depth and power. Meanwhile, I’ll leave us with a few words Jesus spoke to an anxious crowd long ago:

    “There is no need to be afraid, little flock, for the Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom” (Luke 12:32).

 Grace and Peace (to calm the shoulda’s),

 

John

No comments:

Post a Comment