Thursday, February 8, 2024

Plumb

 

Hey, Cobblestone,

     I don’t like being in big cities. This much must be understood before we can move on. And yet, here we are, my bride and me, spending three days and two nights in Columbus, Ohio. Downtown. More by necessity than preference. Given my preference, this same event would take place in a Preble County bean field, under a tent, in May. My beloved tells me there’s not a tent in the world big enough to put all these people under, so we’ve piled up in heaps, in Columbus, in February. And though I’m not a fan, I am resolved to make the best of it.

     To that end, I’m asking the Father to give me new eyes for the city. He started by putting us into a quirky space on the top floor of a 20-story hotel. The room is a trio of small triangles, joined at the points, set in a corner of the building that turns back on itself, making a stubby peninsula. It has, by my crude but close-enough measurement, forty-three linear feet of window and a 225-degree panorama of the bustling capital city. A great perch from which to begin using those new eyes.

     At sunrise this morning, the buildings, from the squat parking lot gatehouse to the soaring Nationwide tower, began yielding their shapes to natural light. Under the dazzling display of turquoise, magenta, and every shade from red-to-orange, this is what I saw everywhere: plumb. Straight up and down. Truly vertical. I could sight along the edge of one structure and get a witness from the edge of another one in the next block. Whatever style the architect might have chosen for expression, one design parameter was in play throughout: gravity.

     Nothing very tall stands for very long without being plumb. One very lucky builder in Pisa has, so far, gotten by with out-of-plumb, but if I ever visit that famous landmark I’ll probably stand only on the “uphill” side. Builders want to make gravity their friend, and plumb is the best way to go about it.

     The edge of whatever is plumb points directly at the earth’s center of mass, the true and unalterable source of gravity. And when I remember who established the location of earth’s center of mass, I can relax in the middle of all this urban audacity. There may be a million personalities in this town, but every one of them, including mine, is subject to the law of the Lord. Like it or not, know it or not, God’s got this. Same goes for the Preble County bean field.

     The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul… (Psalm 19:7)

     My soul is choosing to be revived by the law of the Lord. A good many things have happened in this city – and every city and town – that are, as they say in the trades, “half-a-bubble off.” But they can’t stay out of plumb forever. Eventually, and in the Lord’s good time, every matter will be checked against his plumb line, and whatever is found to be untrue will fall. Meanwhile, his law makes these tall buildings stand as a witness.

     My elevator mates are jealous. Each time I’ve asked, “Could you press 20, please,” it’s been met with some version of “So you’re the one in the penthouse suite. Now we know who’s got all the money around here!” Seriously, no. The room strikes me as a space the architect didn’t figure on, but a creative and ambitious crew made the most of – which endears it to me. It’s more of a broom closet with a whole lot of glass. And a whole lot of grace. A great space from which to gaze out on the law of the Lord in operation.

     Maybe you could find a perch sometime soon, a vantage point with sufficient view to see some truth. If so, I’ll recommend the same passage of Scripture I’ve been considering this morning:

The law of the Lord is perfect,
    reviving the soul;
the testimony of the Lord is sure,
    making wise the simple;
the precepts of the Lord are right,
    rejoicing the heart;
the commandment of the Lord is pure,
    enlightening the eyes;
the fear of the Lord is clean,
    enduring forever;
the rules of the Lord are true,
    and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
    even much fine gold;
sweeter also than honey
    and drippings of the honeycomb.
Moreover, by them is your servant warned;
    in keeping them there is great reward.

Who can discern his errors?
    Declare me innocent from hidden faults.
Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins;
    let them not have dominion over me!
Then I shall be blameless,
    and innocent of great transgression.

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
    be acceptable in your sight,
    Lord, my rock and my redeemer (Psalm 19:7-14).

 

Grace and Peace (wherever you perch),

 

John

 

No comments:

Post a Comment