Friday, March 8, 2024

How Do You Hear?

 Hey, Cobblestone,


    “On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the worst pain you’ve ever experienced, what’s your pain level today?” I cringe when a medical professional asks me that question. I’m never sure how to answer. Today’s pain may be throbbing, while the worst-ever was sharp. Kidney stones produce a different pain than broken ribs – I know this for a fact. Besides, other than taking measures to keep the worst-ever pains from happening again, I’ve been trying to forget them. Today’s 10 is today’s 10; I might be able to compare it to yesterday, maybe last week, but years-ago is probably not doable. Such is the nature of diagnostic questions; they have their limitations. I’m about to ask you a diagnostic question, Church. Just so you know: I’m aware of the limitations. So, something like the medical pro who’s trying to determine what goes into the next prescription or syringe or IV bag, please trust that I’m simply looking for the best path forward. Here goes…

    How do you usually hear from the Lord?

    Psalm 34:4 says, I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. 

    The Lord answers those who seek him – the verse above is but one example. The question at hand isn’t whether the Lord answers, but rather, how does one know that he has? When you seek the Lord, what form do you usually expect the reply to take? Please think on it for as long as it takes to form a recognizable answer.

    Some of us look for the Lord’s reply in Scripture; some in circumstances; some in a prophetic word; some in a spirit-level witness. None of those is unacceptable; all of those, at different times, have been part of the history of the Father’s children, collectively. And for any given one of us, there’s probably no singular method. I bring all this up because, for whatever reason, the Lord is prompting me to. Maybe it’s important for us to sort it out.

    There are two dominant and competing themes in Psalm 34: fear/trouble/affliction vs. deliverance/rescue/blessing. In the first theme, please note: though they’re similar, those three things aren’t exactly the same. Fear may best be met with one kind of answer from the Lord,while trouble or affliction is best met with some other.

    The history of Psalm 34 reaches back into 1Samuel 21. David, who is credited with writing the psalm, was delivered from a very particular trouble on a very particular day. He sought the Lord, and the answer manifested as a radical change in the circumstances. Maybe the next day’s trouble was different; maybe the answer was, too. As Jesus so famously said, “Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof” (Matthew 6:34). Good thing the Father never runs out of ways to meet the day.

    There is precisely zero chance of life being painless, or devoid of trouble, fear, and affliction. The least helpful thing we can do at this point is to not know or not care how the Lord answers when we seek him. Our souls need to close the loop. On top of having it declared in Scripture as an unassailable fact, our souls need to know – from the inside out – that the Father hears, answers, and delivers.

    I’m hoping (and praying right now) that the Lord will provide time and space for you to sort it out. I’m also hoping that you’ll share your findings with others, compare notes, triangulate. There are some particular answers I’m looking for these days that, so far, involve at least three ways of hearing from the Lord. I’m sharing the partial findings with a few brothers and sisters, fellow pilgrims. I don’t want to shut the door on any legitimate method of hearing from the Father. And I sure-as-heck don’t want to go another day without even trying to identify his usual and customary ways of answering.

    How do you hear from the Lord? How do you know that you have?

    This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him and saved him out of all his troubles (Psalm 34:6).
Amen, and may it be so in your life.

May you also know how it happened.


Grace and Peace (for the pilgrimage),
John

No comments:

Post a Comment